Vetro is celebrating 2020 with fire and flames! Join us on Saturday, January 18th and Saturday, January 25th as we welcome the New Year full of things that have never been. Are you ready to try new color mixes and patterns? Join Vetro’s team while we do what we love best …playing with fire! Check out Read more »Read More
Glassblowing Class Information
Classes are offered Tuesday through Thursday beginning at 6 p.m. (Classes in May & June begin at 5 p.m.) Classes are not offered in July or August due to high temperatures. One-on-one classes last about 1.5 hours and classes with two students last about 2.5 hours. Each class can contain only up to two students. Each class costs $175.00* per student, *Take home the TWO Paperweights you create! To book please call the gallery, payment will need to be collected at the time of scheduling.
Paperweight Class I
- An introduction to techniques and skills such as gathering, centering, blocking, and marvering
- An introduction to glassblowing machines, tools of the trade and proper shop etiquette
- A demonstration paperweight is created by the instructor as a glass teaching tool
- Learn basic color application using powders and
frits. Createand keep two (2) paperweights: one clear and one with color (results may vary)
- No prerequisites and no prior experience needed!
Paperweight Class II
***Prerequisite: Must be able to successfully create two (2) paperweights in the Beginner Paperweight Class (see above) ***
- Further practice of glassblowing techniques such as gathering, marvering, jacking, flashing, centering and breaking off finished products for annealing
- Learn advanced color application such as finger bits and thread wraps
- Create and keep two (2) paperweights with color (results may vary)
Must take Paperweight Class I and Paperweight Class II before the Glassblowing Workshop) Glassblowing Workshop includes
- Assessment of current skill levels will include: Take a clean gather of glass from the furnace, marver or newspaper, proper use of the jacks, proper heat and flashing, keep glass centered on the pipe, and break off the piece from the pipe.
- Detailed explanation of blowing processes, new tools, and review of proper shop etiquette
- Creating the starter bubble!
- Detailed, step-by-step demonstration of how to blow a piece
- Remaining session content may vary from student to student.
- If an instructor decides student is ready, the student will attempt to make a shot glass or toothpick holder out of his/her starter bubble
- Mini-workshop on punties (shaping, appropriate sizing and temperature to piece intended)
All workshops and classes are held at VETRO Glassblowing Studio in Grapevine TX. VETRO supplies all tools, glass, and color within your designated time slot. You must be at least 14 years of age and no shorter than 42″ in height in order to operate the equipment safely. Minors under the age of 18 will need an adult chaperone and both must sign a waiver. The paperweights must anneal (cool and strengthen) for a period of time after the class and will be ready for pickup or shipping 2 business days following the class. Shipping is an additional charge. For all workshops listed above, the workshop is a learning experience and an advancement of skills. Vetro cannot guarantee that the actual pieces created will be successful.
- What to wear: cotton clothing, closed-toe shoes, hair pulled back securely, sunglasses (if needed)
- Rescheduling needed: must notify the gallery 72 hours before your reservation.
- If you fail to notify us within 72 hours prior to your reservation, your payment will be NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Cancellation needed: must notify before 72 business hours of your class appointment, a refund will be granted with a $25 processing fee.
- No-shows will NOT be able to reschedule or receive a refund.
Please eat a well-balanced meal before arriving for your class. Water and sports drinks are recommended; caffeinated beverages are not. A water fountain will be available to you at all times outside the studio. All Alcoholic beverages and illegal substances (before and or during any workshop) are strictly prohibited.